Thursday, January 12, 2012

Keeping up appearances

Like most new Momma's I know that have a new baby and a toddler or just a new baby, I don't get ready anymore.

I wear sweats or pajamas pretty much all day. I don't do my hair or make-up unless I HAVE to go out in public and by "doing hair and make-up" I mean putting my hair in a pony and throwing on lotion and mascara. Maybe a pair of jeans to make it look like I get dressed each day. Lies.

This seems to be the standard for most women in my blessed situation. Why take the time to get ready? I don't even HAVE the time to get ready. No one is going to see my anyway. Blah blah blah.

On Tuesday, I decided to fight the urge to clean house or nap when the kids actually napped at the same time, and take the time to get myself "ready". I showered, put some marakesh oil in my hair, blow dried, curled, the whole shebang. Then I did a little make-up (I am soooo bad at make-up, have no idea how to do it) and sprayed a little something lovely smelling on.

And something magic happened. I felt BETTER! I felt like my old self. The one who loved to look nice, clean, fresh. I remembered that I really love fashion. I love clothes and shoes and accessories and generally anything that is young and fun and especially something a little different than just a T-shirt and jeans. Not that there is anything wrong with T-shirts and jeans, heaven knows that's what I have been wearing on the days when I felt like I had to get dressed. But it really was a little magic. I was instantly in a good mood. I felt confident. I was excited for Jon to come home for reasons other than I would get a little help with the kiddos. I was excited for my kids to wake up so I could play with them. It was awesome.

Anyway, this experience has helped me understand a little better what it means when women say they "lose themselves" a little bit when they become Mommies. Not because they don't want to be Mommies, because they do, I do. I love being a Mommy and wouldn't trade my life for anything. Seriously not anything. BUT, I have started to feel a little lost. Like I didn't have any interest in myself anymore. It was all about taking care of babies, home, husband and my business. All things I love, but I was just missing myself on the list. I think I'm gonna try harder to put myself back on it. For real. I always agree when people say it's important to take time for yourself, but I never put that into practice because I didn't realize how true it really was.

SO. I vow to do better. I won't be perfect and I will still likely not get "ready" several days a week, but baby steps huh? Anyone else with me?

One down side to this renewed interest in fashion...
I wanna go shopping.

10 comments:

Ashlie Dalton said...

I love this post! And understand 100%. After having cole I didn't get dressed for years... I felt too fat and ugly. Plus i didn't see the point since I was home all day anyway, like you said... But it's so important to do it occasionally, even if no one sees you but you. You look beautiful by the way! Hope all is going great for you guys.

Catherine said...

Yay Pretty mamas are happy mamas! You look fantastic, Tracy! I hear ya though, it's so easy some days to just stay in my sweats. You're laugh, but somedays I shower, throw gel in my hair with a clip so I feel "cute" and then get back in my warm sweats because it's so cold outside! :) My kids have even asked, "Mommy, can we get back in our pajamas, too?" haha

Amy said...

Just after having John (like hours) I was having that battle with myself. "take a shower"
"I jsut had a baby"
"take a shower"
"it's hard. it might hurt. I'm tired."
"Take. A. Shower."
It took longer than I'd care to admit for the good sense in me to win, but I was reminded (again) of the power of a shower. It doesn't hurt. It isn't hard. and it ALWAYS makes me feel better. Why must I be reminded?

I write this as I sit in my (clean) sweat pants and t shirt...fighting the urge to put on a hat. Fashion is not my interest, but I did take a shower. :)

Unknown said...

Tracy my J/L, you look great.

linzi said...

Glad that you felt so much better!!! I've learned that same lesson - I just feel more me when I get up, do my yoga, take my shower, and spend that time on myself. Life just goes more smoothly. And smoothness equals beauty in my book!

You look fantastic, by the way :)

stgrunninmom said...

Oh T! Amen, sista! My respect for my own mom went sky high after I had my second child...don't know how she had six! You look great though, way to go! My happiest mommy days are the ones that I make time for myself in the morning (I mean early morning when everyone is asleep) to exercise, study, and shower. Otherwise I feel like I'm trying to catch up all day and can't relax, play, and have fun with the kids. I love seeing pics of you and your kiddos, all our love from Texas!

Barb Johnson said...

I remember all that...it's an internal struggle to do something you know you can get away without doing...but you feel better when you do it! Yup. You're a busy mommy! Hang in there, you look gorgeous!

The Johnson Family said...

Tracy, you are amazing! I completely understand what you mean. When I had Lauren, I made it my goal to shower and at least do my hair everyday; then do my makeup on a couple of days. It really does help the mood and feeling good about who YOU are! I say, you deserve to go shopping! Do it!! You have a baby blessing coming up soon anyway, right? Isn't that a good enough excuse?

Kasey said...

Oh I love this post!! It's so true!! I am "not me" a lot of the time. I really need to let myself know it's okay to be me and do me things! Thanks for sharing your feelings! Love ya pretty lady!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.